Monday, January 17, 2011

wedding reception invitation card

I received my first invitation to a wedding dinner. In the past, I always attend wedding dinner with family. So, the invitation card will be addressed to my dad’s name AND FAMILY. That’s how they always wrote it. This time it is different. It is one of my BFF in Medan’s brother’s wedding. So she gave me this invitation card with my name written on it. I see 2 differences between invitation cards used by Chinese in Malaysia and Chinese in Medan. What are they?

First, the colour of the card. In Malaysia, I always see invitation cards in RED or PINK with gold writings on it. Red brings luck and mean prosperity to Chinese. The one I received from my friend here is different. The card is in light yellow with a cover outside the card in dark cocoa colour. I’ve never seen Chinese wedding invitation card using dark colour like this. The card they’re using here is the thick, something like hard cover. I guess it must cost a lot just to print these invitation cards.

Second, the small sign by the end of the page. I’m a Chinese who didn’t really know to read Chinese because I studied in an English school since young. I’m still learning to read Chinese now. So I was reading the card that night with a friend next to me teaching me the words. Guess what, they translated all the addresses from Indonesian language to Chinese language. That must be hard because reading it was hard. Then I see these signs down there. I’ve never seen signs like this in the card we received in Malaysia.

They told me, the first round sign meant RED PACKET, the second round sign meant NO FLOWERS, and the last round sign meant NO GIFTS. As conclusion, it meant “we DO NOT accept flowers and gifts, we ONLY ACCEPT RED PACKETS.” WOW~ I’ve never gave red packet to anyone. Dr. William and his wife must be feeling honored LOL.

I’ve asked around my Malaysian Chinese friends. At my place, those who haven’t married will be giving gifts as to congratulate the newlywed. Only married couples will be giving red packets to the newlywed couple. At some other places in Malaysia, they will always give red packet no matter the invited guests are married or not. Perhaps this is what people say ‘different place having different culture’?

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...